Saturday 5 March 2016

Blending Boards

Well it has been a while since my last post on fibre preparation tools.  Stuff happens in our lives and I just had to shelve my blogging for a while.  Hopefully I am back on track.

As I mentioned some time ago, I would do a post on blending boards.  Now, I don't own a blending board nor have even used a blending board.  So, I definitely don't speak with authority on them.  However, I have read a lot on them and regularly look them up on the internet.  I am always amazed by the talent of fibre people when working with some of these tools.

There are many companies who make blending boards.  Ashford, Louet, Majacraft, Clemes & Clemes are only a few brands on the market.  Then of course if you can source carding cloth you could make your own if you are skilled in those sort of things.

Essentially it is a board with carding cloth affixed.

Now that doesn't sound too spectacular but the results can be spectacular.  Check out the Ashford YouTube clip (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FenT3pshrU), Fibrehappy's clip with her homemade blending board (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbEKcZk_XZo) or Clemes & Clemes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlmqzEUNMxE).  Or just pop "blending boards" into your favourite search engine or in the YouTube search bar and you will get a heap of options to look at.  (I have watched most of them.)

You will notice that as with many spinning and fibre preparation tools, everyone has their own style and little techniques that work for them.  Please take this as a message that there is no single right way to prepare fibre.  Some ways are better than others but over time you adjust your methods to the results you are targeting.

You shouldn't go past looking at some of the clips about spinning from rolags as these are what you end up with on a blending board.

Why would you want to buy a blending board?
I can only comment on my reasons.  Feel free to add your own reasons in the comments.
  • ability to create customised blends
  • ability to blend various fibres
  • ability to card and blend larger amounts than on hand cards.
  • it looks like a little less work on your shoulders.
I hope this has helped you in a small way if you are interested in blending boards.  One is still on my wish list but it may be a while away as I have a lot of fibre to get washed and dyed.

Happy spinning. :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment