Saturday 24 September 2016

Is there a best way to wash raw wool?

I was inspired to write this after reading a comparison of detergent v Power Scour on Nearly There. A blog about fibre things.

https://nearlythere.com/2015/01/24/power-scour-v-dish-washing-detergent-for-washing-fleece/

It was the first result in my search about detergent for washing raw wool.

An interesting thought came to me that there is much advice out there and many experts but sometimes you just have to try stuff yourself.  I'm one of those.

I had some great success using the natural way with the fermented suint method.  However, I don't live in suburbia.  Although the family did limit me changing batches and rinsing stinky wool to times when the wind was blowing away from the house or they were out for the day.  I'm pretty sure the vat gets more smelly with age.

In terms of cleaning power it does work. Leaving the fleece out in the rain for a day or two before rinsing I felt resulted in less rinsing. You do still need to do a couple of hot rinses for best results.  And did I mention the smell!!!

Some people wash locks.  Some whole fleeces.  Your washing method does need to change, to a degree, with how much fleece you are washing and how much time you have.

Personally I find Power Scour expensive when I wash a fleece at a time.  But it is great for small sample batches (eg. A sink full).

Volume washing works best for me with a good detergent.  I use the mid range detergent from Aldi, but anything that is good on greasy dishes works for me.

Depending on the greasiness of the fleece it's seems impossible to get away from one - two washes and two rinses.

So the best way to wash wool is what works for you given your circumstances, facilities and quantity to be washed.

If you are still new to washing fleece, read lots and experiment.  You will soon find a method that works for you.

By the way my current preferred method is soaking in an old washing machine.  Drain and spin.  Remove the fleece to refill the machine and do it again.  Of course hot water is a necessity.

Happy washing.

Postscript......
If you are looking for more reading on washing methods, the following are useful links.

Since posting the above I came across a great little flyer outlining a variety of washing methods (including the smelly one) on the YarnMaker magazine web site.
http://www.yarnmaker.co.uk/fleece/FleeceWashweb.pdf

One of my original learning sites, http://joyofhandspinning.com/how-to-wash-your-fleece/
Washing machine method with pictures, http://gfwsheep.com/washingwool/woolwashing.html

And of course you can search YouTube for a plethora of videos on washing raw wool from locks to whole fleeces.

Happy washing until next time. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment